Index ⇒ Site Suggestions ⇒ Central server...

Think you have a suggestion to make? Feel free to post it here!

Moderator: LW Moderator

Central server...

Postby smilyman » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:32 am

Hey ppl!

I know im still a newbie on THIS forum, but...ive got a suggestion. Why dont (and i know this will take a LOT of hard work) we move ALL the game downloads to 1 centralized server? I dunno bout the rest of u ppl, but i hate yahoo briefcases and all the other crappy places the games get stored on.

So, i see come2store have been upgraded and all, and the max file size part is now 30mb, so how about moving everything to come2store? and NO, i do NOT work for them LOL. i just think it will save a lot of problems, then everyone knows we only use 1 server, and if *this* is the problem, do that and that to fix it, instead of listing solutions for 4 or 5 freakin dl servers.

I can fully understand what n HUGE job it must be to move everything to one server, but come on, give it a thought yeah? will simplify things a lot i think. personally, i cant use RS and MU, and because of theyre popularity, files get deleted very soon.

Well, lemme know what u ppl think!

cheers! :D
smilyman

Postby NE0 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:07 am

Yeah move them all to c2s (won't happen anytime :P) and the next thing you see is that you must reupload the game every now and then. People must find a reliable storage site that doesn't delete old/too much downloaded files, something like YBC wich i like it.
You've always been your worst enemy...
NE0

Postby germo » Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:18 pm

It's a bad idea. C2S showed us earlier that it's not reliable enough. In case of server failure we would lost *ALL* games on 3dsl. As you can see it's better when files are spread :wink:
.o0O(g3rMo)O0o.
germo

mmmm, good point

Postby smilyman » Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:25 pm

well, good point guys, but which server CAN we use? i agree with the put-all-your-eggs-in-one-basket thing, it IS safer to spread the files, but i still think that then we must use 3 or 4 servers, and host everything there, as long as it aint on some damn yahoo briefcase or ftp site or something.

anymore suggestions anyone?
smilyman

Postby germo » Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:51 pm

YBC has one advantage above other hosts, they don't delete files after 30 days or so. Some uploads are still there even after months or years without download. Thats why it's a great host for a smaller less popular games. I think it's most imortant that you can grab those games - easier or harder way.
.o0O(g3rMo)O0o.
germo

Postby Scaryfun » Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:00 am

Yup, very good point germo. :)
The smaller older games are perfect for YBC because they won't be deleted due to inactivity. Come2store has already lost all files TWICE...I wouldn't trust them with changing a lightbulb let alone have all our uploads there. :P
Scaryfun
3DSL Admin

mmmm

Postby smilyman » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:15 am

damn, i feel like a total dumbass, because im just now busy dl'ing blood 2's mission pack....from......a YAHOO BRIEFCASE....and i have to say...damn...it actaully works like a charm....plus the speed is fast as well. so sorry yahoo for insulting ur briefcases!!! The ybs option sounds good yeah, dont know them but it sounds like a really nice server!

cheers!
smilyman

Re: mmmm

Postby NE0 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:14 pm

smilyman wrote:damn, i feel like a total dumbass, because im just now busy dl'ing blood 2's mission pack....from......a YAHOO BRIEFCASE....and i have to say...damn...it actaully works like a charm....plus the speed is fast as well. so sorry yahoo for insulting ur briefcases!!! The ybs option sounds good yeah, dont know them but it sounds like a really nice server!

cheers!

Cool huh ? :). If c2s offered 30mb??? for storage and isos can be upped there why not on YBC?
You've always been your worst enemy...
NE0

Return to Site Suggestions