Index ⇒ Site Suggestions ⇒ "ISO" demos that qualify as rips...

Think you have a suggestion to make? Feel free to post it here!

Moderator: LW Moderator

"ISO" demos that qualify as rips...

Postby Rekrul » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:39 pm

I've noticed that a few games on here are listed as "ISO Demo", but then it says that the music tracks were omitted. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the whole point of an ISO file that you get a copy of everything that was on the original disc? I mean if the music tracks are omitted, how is that any different from zipping up the data and labelling it a rip?
Rekrul

Postby Lifeforce » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:45 pm

Hi,

do you have examples?

BR
Lifeforce

Postby josilva23 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:23 pm

Lifeforce wrote:Hi,

do you have examples?

BR

Sorry, but I could not leave to notice to this topic. I have examples:

Hexen: Beyond Heretic (1995);
Duke Nukem 3D (1996);
WW 2 GI ((1999);

I did not verify if had other games...
josilva23

Postby hfric » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:34 pm

thats why its "ISO Demo" DUH !!!
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
hfric
3DSL Moderator

Postby Rekrul » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:17 pm

Lifeforce wrote:Hi,

do you have examples?

BR

In addition to those already mentioned, I'll add;

Corridor 7: Alien Invasion (2 versions, ISOs with and without audio tracks)
System Shock (2 ISOs, one is 209MB, the other is 103MB)
Star Wars: Dark Forces
Hexen 2 (ISOs with and without audio tracks)
Quake Total Conversion: Malice (ISOs with and without audio tracks)
Virtua Squad 2 (ISOs with and without audio tracks)
Project IGI 2: Covert Strike (ISO made from rip)

Note that I'm just going by the notes on the above.

I think Hexen: Death Kings of the Dark Citadel also falls into this category. I don't know for sure that the original has audio tracks, but I know there's a patch for it that claims to correct the problem of not getting redbook audio in the game. That would seem to indicate that the original included audio tracks.
Rekrul

Postby NE0 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:35 pm

just pop in your favorite audio cd while playing, that's what i do...or winamp
NE0

Postby Scaryfun » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:27 pm

Well, it's only an issue of terminology. Since it is an image, they're labelled as red ISO Demo but it should have an indication that they are missing audio tracks. As long as it's clear to the downloader what they're getting, then I don't see what the problem is.
Scaryfun
3DSL Admin

Postby hfric » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:42 pm

Scaryfun its not the issue of terminology they should be named "ISO Demo" we only give you the game , the data , want all the experience buy it - nothing can beat the pleasure of the shiny silver disk and paper manual + the box art and furthermore CD-audio is only in those images when this game really needs it - read they added speech on it , example :
- Alone In The Dark 1
- Alone In The Dark 2
- Alone In The Dark 3
etc...

anyway i don`t get people who constant nag about a game that they get for free ... ok some people are collectors but even they buy games in boxes to have the full experience ... i would understand when someone nag about missing speech or movies But CD-audio that brings nothing to the game ... o come on , and now the fan go boo on me with pitch and forks saying that this gives climate ...
hfric
3DSL Moderator

Postby Oyn » Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:27 am

Well, frankly, if you're not going to get the full game including cd audio, you might as well download the rip instead. Most people expect everything to be on a disk image.
Oyn

Postby HB » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:20 am

Rekrul wrote:Virtua Squad 2 (ISOs with ....audio tracks)

I have been looking for versions of Virtua Cop/Squad 1 & 2 with audio tracks for some time. Do you have any links?

I think Hexen: Death Kings of the Dark Citadel also falls into this category.

My original CD-ROM of this has no audio tracks on it.

That would seem to indicate that the original included audio tracks.

Only the original Hexen CD-ROM has audio tracks. The expansion does not judging from my copy.
HB

Postby HB » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:23 am

hfric wrote:But CD-audio that brings nothing to the game

I couldn't disagree more. For almost all games with CD audio, that is the only music in the game. In addition I personally have bought many games primarily for their audio tracks, and i play those CD's all the time even if I hardly ever play the game itself.
HB

Postby Rekrul » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:37 pm

hfric wrote:Scaryfun its not the issue of terminology they should be named "ISO Demo" we only give you the game , the data ,

That's called a rip. Also note that the FAQ states the following definition of ISO demos; "This means a cd-image of the complete game on cd which you can burn and get an exact copy."

To me, it is an issue of terminology.

hfric wrote:want all the experience buy it - nothing can beat the pleasure of the shiny silver disk and paper manual + the box art

The last several games I've bought have been used and most just included the disc and maybe a jewel case, nothing else. Even the last games I bought brand new (granted they were budget re-releases) didn't come with a printed manual, just a white sheet with basic installation instructions. One of them had a PDF manual on the disc, but the other came with no formal instructions other than the tutorial level.

hfric wrote:anyway i don`t get people who constant nag about a game that they get for free

I'm not saying that those versions shouldn't be uploaded for people who want them. I just question labelling them as ISO when it's not a complete copy.

hfric wrote:i would understand when someone nag about missing speech or movies But CD-audio that brings nothing to the game

I've played several games where I thought the music greatly enhanced the game.

HB wrote:I have been looking for versions of Virtua Cop/Squad 1 & 2 with audio tracks for some time. Do you have any links?

A copy of Virtua Squad 2, labelled as having audio tracks (or maybe it's a separate audio CD) is listed under the "V"s on 3D Shooter Legends. It's on this page;

http://www.legendsworld.net/3DSL/1997.htm#VirtuaSquad2

HB wrote:Only the original Hexen CD-ROM has audio tracks. The expansion does not judging from my copy.

Ok, thanks for the info. I only have an original of Hexen, not the expansion. I guess they intended for you to use the Hexen CD audio.
Rekrul

Postby HB » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:11 pm

Rekrul wrote:A copy of Virtua Squad 2, labelled as having audio tracks (or maybe it's a separate audio CD) is listed under the "V"s on 3D Shooter Legends. It's on this page;

http://www.legendsworld.net/3DSL/1997.htm#VirtuaSquad2.

Unfortunately the audio downloads there are just MP3's of the audio tracks and low bitrate ones at that. I am looking for a complete CD-ROM image of those two games.
HB

Postby Rekrul » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:22 am

HB wrote:Unfortunately the audio downloads there are just MP3's of the audio tracks and low bitrate ones at that. I am looking for a complete CD-ROM image of those two games.

Sorry. I didn't download it, so didn't know exactly what it was.

I'd say probably the best bet then is to check the file sharing networks.
Rekrul

Postby Rekrul » Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:17 am

You can add Blood to the list of games that are listed as "ISO Demo"s, but which aren't complete. In Blood's case, it isn't even an ISO file, just an archive of Blood's directory. Since it's not an ISO file, the CD audio tracks are omitted.
Rekrul

Return to Site Suggestions