Index ⇒ General Topics ⇒ What was your first visit to the site?

Thoughts on life, the universe and everything else not covered in other categories.

Moderator: LW Moderator

What was your first visit to the site?

Postby HappySmile33 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:19 pm

How were you introduced to Legends World? How exactly did you find it? Did anything bring you here?
I was looking for an ISO of a game and Legends World popped up on the second page. The loaded page was the grey 3DSL download page with the download link. At first I was a bit suspicious, but as soon as I downloaded the game I knew it was an amazing site. I realized quickly that it's so much more, so I created an account and after I got approved I uploaded my first game. Before I got into the site I would upload for private archival purposes only and it was rare. Now it's my favorite game site, one of the only game sites I use ever since I found it and the only forum I use. It really is a huge part of my internet experience.
HappySmile33

Re: What was your first visit to the site?

Postby Scaryfun » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:42 am

I had done a google search on some obscure shooter and 3D Shooter Legends turned up. Then it was nice to go through all the year pages for the lesser well known games. Even though it was only in German, I eventually made a forum account and people were helpful. Then I started upping games and the rest is history. :D
Scaryfun
3DSL Admin

Postby zobraks » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:05 am

I had been brought here by Egon, God bless him.
zobraks

Postby annoyment » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:36 am

Was looking for this title once, found it on 4shared, asked the uploader for the password, and gee, it was one of the (now dead) redirector URLs - looked through it via Wayback Machine, thought it was excellent but also shut down for good, and moved on :(
Fast forward to 2015, stumbled upon it again by accident, especially for an ISO Demo request in this forum of a domestic title I owned at one point (and knew how to get), made an account, began "arguing", filled the request, et voila - been a happy camper ever since :mrgreen:
Windows is shutting down
"Hellos, plz help with this, will help backward." -Wimpy
annoyment

Postby HappySmile33 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:57 pm

Scaryfun wrote:I had done a google search on some obscure shooter and 3D Shooter Legends turned up. Then it was nice to go through all the year pages for the lesser well known games. Even though it was only in German, I eventually made a forum account and people were helpful. Then I started upping games and the rest is history. :D

That's awesome! Without you and your games A LOT of members wouldn't be here anyway. Do you remember what was your first game upload? Is it/Are they still available on the site in its/their original form? If you had to choose, what would be your favorite year for uploaded games on 3DSL and/or AL? You were following the site a while after the beginning, so I would assume you followed it closely. What is the biggest game release year for you (which year marked the original release for most of your favorite games; if you have one or more)?
HappySmile33

Postby Meddle » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:08 am

I was in a channel on IRC on Efnet and this site was mentioned. I wasn't looking for anything in particular at the time, but after I saw what this place was about I lurked for awhile as is my way, then I created an account so that I could interactive with the people here and I've been here ever since except for a hiatus a year or two ago.
Meddle

Postby myloch » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:05 am

If I remember correctly somebody on cs rin ru suggested me to look for old games here ;) (I was totally into new steam games back there)
Please help me! Check HERE for my requests / most wanted titles!
myloch

Location: Out somewhere, collecting old, rare and obscure pc games.

Postby rodion » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:52 pm

Few years ago the websites I used to visit started to shut down left and right, so I was lost. I was searching some obscure game and I ended on some websites that tracks warez downloads, I don't remember the name. It linked to this place and I hit a gold mine. I have yet to find something that is not available here.
rodion

Postby Scaryfun » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:59 am

HappySmile33 wrote:Do you remember what was your first game upload? Is it/Are they still available on the site in its/their original form? If you had to choose, what would be your favorite year for uploaded games on 3DSL and/or AL? You were following the site a while after the beginning, so I would assume you followed it closely. What is the biggest game release year for you (which year marked the original release for most of your favorite games; if you have one or more)?

January 9, 2002 upped the Redneck Rampage Addon - So You Wanna Be A Redneck, Hexen 2 - Portal Of Praevus and Rebel Moon Rising.
We've gone through using several file hosts during our 20+ years (I remember Yahoo Briefcase, Come2Store and the original mega which all ceased to be) so there's no original uploads still alive, but probably the files are the same when reupped by the same person. Our old game rips on pre-2000 shooters I'm sure are compressed packs of the original scene releases.
I think biggest years for releases are 1998, 2004-5, then 2013 onwards there became an ever increasing number of releases with Steam allowing greenlighted games and then later anyone who payed to sell on there. With increasing ability of people to create their own games with easy to use game engines and buying assets to use in them, it reached the point where there were too many crap games than we could keep up with. So, now we can only curate the better ones to document on site.
Scaryfun
3DSL Admin

Postby Terje_P » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:35 am

I believe I went looking for City Interactive FPS games :lol:

May have found the site with http://www.oldgamesfinder.com/.

Took me a while to figure out how to download from 4shared in a smart way.
Terje_P

Postby HappySmile33 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:36 am

Terje_P wrote:I believe I went looking for City Interactive FPS games :lol:

May have found the site with http://www.oldgamesfinder.com/.

Took me a while to figure out how to download from 4shared in a smart way.

:up: That's great! I still use just the regular site on my browser for downloading because I don't download there as much and even when I do I don't download a lot of files anyway. When I download uploads that aren't mine, I mostly use "download as zip" for all the archives/files unless it's a single archive with the files.
HappySmile33

Postby Rofferu » Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:36 am

I was looking for shmups for a while when I found this site. Didn't got serious on this site until I was in the point where I'm getting less interested in newer games, and repackers are getting more focused on those. Got to admit though, you guys do have those games that people request for in one of my former sites I've frequented in the past (a pre-installed game site), just that it's a neverending quest to add everything in this immense database.
Rofferu

Postby Scaryfun » Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:17 am

:) Glad that we had ones you were looking for. It is the rarer stuff that brings new visitors here by googling a title that can't be found anywhere else... or a link that someone posts in a conversation or in a forum. People's taste changes. Sometimes our love of older games can lead to similar titles we never knew about.
Scaryfun
3DSL Admin

Return to General Topics