Index ⇒ General Topics ⇒ Internet Archive

Thoughts on life, the universe and everything else not covered in other categories.

Moderator: LW Moderator

Internet Archive

Postby rastan saga » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:50 pm

Why don't we upload the games to the Internet archive (archive.org) site. As far as I know, there is no risk of deleted and no upload limit. Correct if I know wrong.

I guess the only problem is the upload-download speed is a bit slow. But it seems like an advantage to know that the file you uploaded will be there forever. Once you upload it and that's all.

I see so many people uploading huge files here, I guess they know something...
rastan saga

Re: Internet Archive

Postby Scaryfun » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:19 pm

Sure, it's good to preserve older games. The only risk is sometimes games will disappear if a company requests due to copyright issues. So, it's best probably for games at least 10-15 year and older.

The games I've been upping for last couple years are newer than that, or else I'd use it. Maybe next year I'll go through our archives and up whichever ones are not on internet archive yet.
Also, note that Molitor has archived a lot of our games on usenet as well.
Scaryfun
3DSL Admin

Postby rastan saga » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:24 pm

"Sure, it's good to preserve older games"

Yes, I mean exactly that.

"The only risk is sometimes games will disappear if a company requests due to copyright issues"

Believe me, this is valid for all upload sites except torrents.

"So, it's best probably for games at least 10-15 year and older."

Let's call that 5-10 :lol:

"The games I've been upping for last couple years are newer than that..."

Yes and I am a victim of this now. Especially you and Egon68 are the main uploaders in here, and you uploading almost all of your games to Mega and you never use 4Shared anymore. I can't download anything from here now, it's sad. The situation has become troublesome for me. And many links on other download sites are already expired, except that damn Mega of course. Mega links are keeping for a long time, probably that's why you all prefer Mega.

"Maybe next year I'll go through our archives and up whichever ones are not on internet archive yet"

Maybe... just maybe. It would be a very long and demanding job. I don't think it can be all done. We're old people now Scary, we are the oldest gamers of this planet 8) and no time for old men :P

"Also, note that Molitor has archived a lot of our games on usenet as well."

Usenet is another problem of mine but now I don't want to get into that issue.
rastan saga

Postby Delacroix » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:38 pm

Maybe it's about time to buy a cheap used laptop with a modern OS and be able to use MEGA properly?
Delacroix

Postby rastan saga » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:43 am

Maybe someday, but not today. I need every money in my pocket right now. The future is uncertain and I cannot spend anything unnecessary. There is no need anyway, that new games are not interesting to me and I've already downloaded more than 90% of the games I want to download. There was very little left (around 50-60) of them but almost all of them uploaded on Mega, unfortunately.

Anyway, I will find a solution of course. If only games were our only problem in this world, it wouldn't be a problem...
rastan saga

Postby Delacroix » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:25 am

OK, I'll look into something for you, I have a few ideas.
Delacroix

Postby Shattered » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:08 pm

rastan saga wrote:Why don't we upload the games to the Internet archive

Who's we? The same as before: 99% someone else... always the same people that upload games.

There are solutions for Mega on XP, MyPal: it works: please check your end.
Shattered
3DSL Moderator

Postby rastan saga » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:55 pm

"Who's we? The same as before: 99% someone else... always the same people that upload games"

What I mean by "we" was an entire LegendsWorld community, not ME. You may not see me belong here, but that is your problem. Also you are not as important an uploader as Egon68 or Scaryfun. You're not even half the size of them but you act like you own all of these places.

"There are solutions for Mega on XP, MyPal: it works: please check your end."

I said to you, "I installed the program you pointed, but I got an error message like this (0xc0000142), what kind of error is this?"

Then you gave me a sloppy reply on that but I kindly thanked you. Either you don't understand what you're reading or you're looking for an excuse to make trouble, just like you did many years ago... But I have no intention of arguing with you. You don't have to like me, I don't care.

Please do not deal with me unless I act against the forum rules. It's that simple.
rastan saga

Postby Shattered » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:17 am

rastan saga wrote:What I mean by "we" was an entire LegendsWorld community, not ME. You may not see me belong here, but that is your problem.

I don't have a problem with you being here. I may come over as rude, but history has shown that only a handful of people help in uploading.

rastan saga wrote:Also you are not as important an uploader as Egon68 or Scaryfun. You're not even half the size of them but you act like you own all of these places.

For you, uploading games seems to be a contest which is very childish.

True, I didn't upload as much as others but I think I did my fair share for the site (uploading is not the only thing). Also, it takes a lot of time to prepare (scanning media, packing, checking, creating NFO etc.). Time I don't have anymore like in the past, unfortunately.

rastan saga wrote:Yes and I am a victim of this now. Especially you and Egon68 are the main uploaders in here, and you uploading almost all of your games to Mega and you never use 4Shared anymore. I can't download anything from here now, it's sad. The situation has become troublesome for me.

This shows me that it's about you having a problem with Mega, and not about us uploading games to the internet archive.

rastan saga wrote:I said to you, "I installed the program you pointed, but I got an error message like this (0xc0000142), what kind of error is this?"

Then you gave me a sloppy reply on that but I kindly thanked you.

You may find my reply sloppy but I actually took the time to help you and test it on Windows XP. Did you already look on Google for that error message and try some of the suggestions? There were also other possible solutions given in that thread: no feedback from your side if they work or not. Getting help works 2 ways.

Which makes me wonder: do you really want help?
Shattered
3DSL Moderator

Postby rastan saga » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:43 am

Shattered,

A few years ago I was almost banned because of you and I'll never fall into your simple traps again. I like being here and that won't change just because you don't want it. The reason I'm here is just games and a little bit of chat, that's all. I am not after any kind of friendship or hostility.

Also my suggestion to upload the games to Internet Archive was made so that maybe it would be a convenience for you. After all, you don't have to upload deleted links over and over again, and the files are in a neat environment. And also I am thinking of uploading my archive to a safe environment in case physical media gets corrupted. So I wanted to ask if it could be IA. I mean, I am thinking of being one of those "we" that you value so much.

Anyway, stay away dude, just stay away. You don't like me, I don't like you. Simple.
rastan saga

Return to General Topics